Wednesday, August 30, 2017

A Small Slice of a Big Pie


What happens when two Heather's go hiking?  I had the privilege of finding out last week.  My Mom's best friend Heather had been wanting to hike a few sections of the Appalachian Trail for quite a while.  When she approached me about doing some sections inside Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, I happily assisted with the planning and offered to tag along.  Fortunately, she had most of the camping gear we would need so all I had to do was provide another car for vehicle shuttles and trail maps so we wouldn't get lost.  We also got lucky on lodging!  Huge shout out to AMC Camp Mohican in New Jersey for letting us tent camp and use their facilities for 3 nights.  They have a great program up there and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!    

The first day of the hike dawned hot and humid.  By the time we got on the trail it was already in the 80's and very hazy as well.  We hiked from Camp Mohican to Millbrook Road. Fortunately, the first day was the shortest at approximately 3.5 miles. The views were beautiful but a bit short sighted because of the dense, hot air.  The highlight of Day 1 was the Catfish Fire Tower!  I had heard about this amazing tower from many of my co-workers but this was the first time I had seen it in person.  Climbing up to the top provided stunning views of the surrounding landscape.  I already have plans to come back in the Fall to see the leaves turn from this amazing vantage point.

After completing the first few miles of our hike, we set up our tents and took a shower.  Shortly after eating dinner it became clear that a big storm was brewing.  As it turned out, we wouldn't be needing our tents that night because the weather threatened a tornado and the rain, lightning, and thunder got so bad that the staff offered us a key to a cabin for the night. We gratefully accepted.

Day 2 of our hike was approximately 5.5 miles long.  The photo to the right shows a nice, flat section of the trail which we enjoyed for a good distance and which enabled us to make some good time.  I highlight that flat trail because the entire rest of the distance we hiked was the exact opposite!  In fact, I will be happy if I never see another rock again for the rest of my life.  The terrain was a nuisance and we are lucky that neither of us twisted an ankle!

Millbrook Road to Crater Lake was a beautiful section of the trail.  Probably the most memorable part was right at the end when we encountered the rock wall.  As it turns out, we almost missed it completely because we had taken a wrong turn.  When we figured that out, we turned back and got on the AT again which immediately greeted us with a nearly vertical wall of rock to scale!  With some determination and careful foot placement, both Heather's made it to the top successfully.
 Day 3 of the hike took us from Crater Lake to Brinks Shelter Road in Stokes State Forest (5.5 miles).  Out of all four hiking days I was the most nervous about that one.  I knew that there was a possibility that we may have to do a water crossing at the end to get back to the main road where I had parked my car but I was in denial and hoping against actually needing to.  Unfortunately, that hope did not pan out.  The thing was we had finished our AT section for the day.  We were both incredibly tired and our feet hurt quite a bit from the rocks and the steep nature of the trail that day.  We were only about 1 mile from my car but all of a sudden we were stopped in our tracks by a giant SWAMP.  The funny thing about the swamp was that it still looked a bit like a road.  You could see where the road used to be but you could not actually see where the road picked back up on the other side of the water (or even if it did at all!).  Upon consulting with my map, we had no other option.  We would have to walk THROUGH THE SWAMP.     

Heather and I took off our shoes and socks and ventured slowly into the murky water.  I went first.  At first, it was not that deep and I could see my feet.  However, as the trek wore on, the water got deeper and deeper until it covered my knees!  At that point I could not see my feet or how deep the water got so I asked for one of Heather's hiking poles.  Fortunately, this helped me judge whether or not to take the next step.  What it did not tell me is whether there would be a fish or a turtle or a snake waiting there for my foot.  I'm glad we made it through without the local wildlife making my foot its next snack!

For Day 4 of the hike, we turned south.  Camp Mohican to Sunfish Pond and down the Garvey Springs Trail for a total of 5.5 miles. The last day was the least eventful but definitely the most rocky and steep.  At the end of the hike, we were both happy to be done.  We felt extremely accomplished! I wanted to note how many times this hike reminded me of Route 66.  Danielle will remember the main similarity.  I reminisced about how dependent we were on the little brown signs to confirm to us that we were still on the right road.  It was the same thing on the AT.  Only, instead of looking for little brown signs, the endless search was for the next white, rectangular paint blaze.   

Braving the elements, admiring the views, peeing in the woods, and experiencing being one with nature for 4 days was more fulfilling and renewing than I would have expected.  No wonder so many hike the entire trail from Georgia to Maine.  I am truly in awe of the people who accomplish the entire thing!  We met a large handful of those people along the trail and each one of them had a different story and reason for hiking the trail.  It was cool to interact a bit with all of them and I wish them the best in completing their endeavor.  


Maybe one of my future posts will tell tales of a section hike of the AT in Shenandoah NP!  It's already in the works. Stay tuned to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment