Saturday, March 7, 2015

History and Heat


Today's drive was long but this post will be short.  I never knew that the Eastern part of California was so empty and large and full of desert! The only part publicized is the popular part along the ocean.  I must say, I'm getting used to isolation.  I'm almost nervous to head into the densely populated LA area tomorrow! Too many cars, too many people.  

We left Needles this morning and drove until we couldn't any longer.  This time, not because of exhaustion or darkness.  We hit a dead end.  We were met with a Road Closed barrier right at the entrance to a major section of uninterrupted highway.  We did not know why the road was impassable, only that a sign said it was.  As tempted as we were to drive past the sign, we did not.  We asked some truck drivers if they knew anything about it and they said that construction crews were repairing the bridges down the way.  We had to get back on I-40 for several miles until we found an exit that would allow us back on 66.

I left my signature H2 sign on a bank of rocks where others had left their signature as well.  Then we drove to Roy's Motel.  I suppose the man working inside was named Roy, although I never actually asked.  He was incredibly helpful supplying us with water and directions and advice.  

We decided to hike the Amboy Crater after that based on his suggestion.  It was a hot hike but we had just enough water and the view from the top was gorgeous! It was a totally different hike than I am used to because there were no trees or brown dirt to walk on.  Instead, it was sand, black rocks, and old lava flow.  

We also met an older gentleman and his wife who told us stories about how the section of road we were driving used to be bumper to bumper with cars in the old days! He had driven 66 several times in the past and it was really cool to hear first hand how the road has changed.  It was hard to believe that the deserted road used to be a hubbub of traffic before I-40 passed through. 

Although the picture below looks as though we are at the end of Route 66, we are not.  We have one or two more days.  I just thought this looked like a promising photo op and so I pulled over the car, knelt down in the road (because you can do that when you're the only one driving on the road for miles and miles), and snapped a few shots.  I'm thankful I did!


1 comment: